With mental health concerns continuing to impact the lives of workers in the construction industry, the Daily Commercial News has compiled a list of mental health resources, tools and supports available to employees and employers looking for assistance in Ontario in recognition of Bell Let’s Talk Day.
Last year, the DCN and JOC launched our national series Cracks in the Foundation: Mental Health, Substance Use and Construction, which featured three instalments delving into all facets of what has been coined by many as “the other pandemic.” We hope during these challenging times, the series as well as these resources may help someone get the help they need.
- The Ontario Construction Consortium launched the Other Pandemic campaign and the website TheOtherPandemic.ca, which brings together labour, management and owners to raise awareness about the opioid drug overdose crisis in the construction industry. (https://theotherpandemic.ca/)
- The Mental Health Index released monthly by LifeWorks provides a measure of the current mental health status of employed adults in each geography compared to benchmarks collected in previous years. (https://lifeworks.com/en/resource/mental-health-index%E2%84%A2-report-november-2021)
- The De Novo Treatment Centre in Huntsville, Ont. provides substance use treatment for the employers, members within the unionized construction Industry and their families. (https://denovo.ca/)
- Julian Toy of Addiction Consultants in Recovery is a substance abuse professional trained in addictions and mental health who provides fit for duty and drug and alcohol training for ICI constructors, HR and EH&S professionals. (https://www.myaddictionexperts.com/)
- LIUNAcare’s mHealth program in Ontario gives members and their eligible dependents access to an online mental health assessment tool, virtual mental health therapy, an information and resource library as well as an overview of their benefits coverage in addition to traditional in-person therapy. (https://liunacare.com/)
- Lifespeak is a software-as-service provider of a platform for mental health and total wellbeing education for organizations committed to taking care of their employees and customers. (http://www.lifespeak.com)
- Christian Labour Association of Canada members who need help or want to speak with a substance abuse case manager can call 877-863-5154 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mental Health First Aid presented by the Mental Health Commission of Canada provides help to a person developing a mental health problem, experiencing a mental health crisis, or a worsening of their mental health. (https://mentalhealthcommission.ca/training/mhfa/)
- Medcor provides worksite clinics, onsite and mobile construction clinics and special operations clinics. (https://www.medcor.com/services/clinics/)
- The Infrastructure Health and Safety Association mental health webinars help participants better understand mental health issues in Canada. (http://www.ihsa.ca/Training/Courses/COVID-19-The-Effects-on-Our-Mental-Health-Webinar)